[Avodah] [Areivim] Fw: fashion models and opera singers

Harry Maryles hmaryles at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 29 10:12:45 PDT 2007

{Note: this was initially sent to Areivim. But I ws advised by the moderataion team to submit it to Avodah as it has suffiecent Torah content to warrant the wider readership here. So with that in mind, I submit it here. But I want to re-emphasize that my recollection may be inaccurate since it was over 40myears ago. - HM}

  --- Simi Peters <familyp2 at actcom.net.il> wrote:

> A former student of mine is a very successful budding opera singer.
>  Although she knows that halacha does not permit kol isha in
> performance (even in the most lenient piskei halacha that I'm aware
> of, at least) she has chosen to continue singing.  Nonetheless, she
> is completely shomeret Shabbat and kashrut, davens daily, and tries
> to learn when she can.  She's a good girl (good-hearted and
> relatively tznua, at least in terms of the world she inhabits) and
> her observance of mitzvot has protected her from the worst excesses
> of her professional setting.   Does that make her frum?  I guess
> the Ribono shel olam will figure that out for Himself.

It's been over forty years so I may be in error about this.

But IIRC when Fiddler on the Roof first came to the Chicago stage
(the play, not the movie), Arie Crown Hebrew Day School used it as a
fund raiser. Of course the subjet of Kol Isha came up. I can't say
this for sure but I kind of remember that there was a Heter given by
RAS (It was about 1966 so as I indicated my memory may be off.)

I believe the Heter was based on the fact that the faces of the women
in the play could not be seen from the seats that were being sold by
ACHDS and the sound heard was that of a microphone reproduction and
not their actual voices. If that's true, it may be possible for this
talented young lady to pursue a career in opera without violating
Halacha.

HM

Want Emes and Emunah in your life?

Try this: http://haemtza.blogspot.com/