[Avodah] Peanuts and other Kitnios

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 26 08:28:30 PDT 2007

On Tue, April 24, 2007 4:21 pm, R Daniel Eidensohn wrote:
: R' Samuel Svarc wrote:
:> They're wrong because there is no "Israeli kehillah" to join. There
:> are tens of kehillah's, some of which do keep kitnios...

I find RSS is just begging the issue. Why is it right to have tens of
co-located qehillos? Doesn't that defy the concept of minhag hamaqom
and constitute lo sisgodedu?

: Igros Moshe (YD IV 15.3 page 184): Question: Is it necessary to act in
: accord with the minhag of Israel which is printed in seforim? Answer:
: Concerning the minagim of Israel - Rav Tuchichinsky has already
: published seform on all the issues. However I have been uncertain
: concerning a number of issues that are mentioned in his sefer and
: other
: seforim on the subject. Do they in fact have the status of minhag. In
: particular since those immigrants who came to Israel after they were
: decreed  constitute ten times as many people as the original
: population
: and they have different minhagim - whether their minhagim become
: nullified before the local minhag?

RMF doesn't really address my question. Perhaps they aren't mevatelim
before the local minhag. Perhaps when 10 times the number of people
arrive, they define a new local minhag? There is nothing about whether
it's okay to have multiple minhagim, or to try to get down to a single
"beis din per city". RMF is not giving communal policy, but the
halakhah for an individual oleh who can't change the general status
quo.

Again, where do we see a basis for considering the current mixture of
minhagim in a single city being anything more than a bedi'eved? And
why aren't we looking to accelerate the process of unifying?

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,