[Avodah] Peanuts and other Kitnios

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Tue Apr 24 13:21:04 PDT 2007

R' Samuel Svarc wrote:
>> But they aren't talking about abolishiong the issur. They are saying
>> that the issur is still fully in force for Ashkenazim. They are
>> objecting to an Ashkenazi moving to Israel and remaining an Ashkenazi
>> rather than becoming part of Israel's kehillah and following its
>> minhag hamaqom (which they assume does not include refraining from
>> qitniyos).
>>
>> And frankly, I'm still unclear as to how they are wrong.
>>

> They're wrong because there is no "Israeli kehillah" to join. There are tens
> of kehillah's, some of which do keep kitnios. Once there is no minhag
> hamakom one shouldn't change his own. What does he gain? He is not making it
> any less "agudos, agudos", and he's losing out on his own minhagim, some of
> which might be superior to what he's switching to, and some of them are
> halachicaly problematic to change.

Igros Moshe (YD IV 15.3 page 184): Question: Is it necessary to act in
accord with the minhag of Israel which is printed in seforim? Answer:
Concerning the minagim of Israel - Rav Tuchichinsky has already
published seform on all the issues. However I have been uncertain
concerning a number of issues that are mentioned in his sefer and other
seforim on the subject. Do they in fact have the status of minhag. In
particular since those immigrants who came to Israel after they were
decreed  constitute ten times as many people as the original population
and they have different minhagim - whether their minhagim become
nullified before the local minhag?

Daniel Eidensohn