[Avodah] Peanuts and other Kitnios

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Thu Apr 26 08:37:36 PDT 2007

Again, where do we see a basis for considering the current mixture of
minhagim in a single city being anything more than a bedi'eved? And why
aren't we looking to accelerate the process of unifying?

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

The simplest answer would be sociological.  A more creative one would be
that while minhagim were clearly originally strongly location based,
given that there were situations of more than one beit din in a town
(and I'm not clear what conditions allowed/encouraged this), chazal must
have had a non location based svara which later gedolim built on because
of the conditions on the ground to allow/encourage multiple minhagim.

Given the membership of this list, perhaps one of our chashuv members
could access a gadol and ask the question?

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.