[Avodah] When do the malachim come

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Apr 17 13:22:58 PDT 2007

From: "Akiva Blum" _ydamyb at actcom.net.il_ (mailto:ydamyb at actcom.net.il)

>> I know a number a people that daven mincha and kabolas shabos  with an
early shabos minyan, go home for the seuda, and after finishing the  seuda...they
return to shul to join the late- shabos maariv.... when is the best  time for
singing shalom aleihem? When do the malachim come? After kabolas  shabos, or
after maariv?
What should someone do if he decided to say kabolas  shabos at home?<<

Akiva

I can put this in a cynical sounding way, or in a chassidish sounding  way,
but either way the answer would be the same:  a. cynical -- do you  /really/
think malachim come to your house every week -- and that it  matters to them
when, or whether, you sing to them? Do  you really think  the malachim come home
with the Abba from shul, and if he doesn't go to shul --  they don't come?
b. chassidish -- the malachim come when they are  welcomed.

In either case, the answer is the same:  you sing Sholom Aleichem  when you
want to.

Until about 500 years ago, there was no such song as Sholom Aleichem, so  I
don't think there is really a "must" time for singing it.   I've  heard of
people not wanting to keep hungry guests waiting on a very late Friday,  and
therefore singing Sholom Aleichem after the first course.     We never make Shabbos
early except when invited out to the homes of others who  do, but if we did
make Shabbos early, I would opt for singing before the  meal.

Since the malachim look around to see if the home is Shabbosdik, they  must
come right after kabalas Shabbos -- not after a late ma'ariv when  you've
already put the food away, the table is no longer set, and the candles  have gone
out!  Would you want them to look around then and say, "So may it  be every
Shabbos"?!

--Toby  Katz