[Avodah] When do the malachim come

Moshe Yehuda Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 18:05:26 PDT 2007

R'n TK:
I can put this in a cynical sounding way, or in a chassidish sounding way,
but either way the answer would be the same:  a. cynical -- do you /really/
think malachim come to your house every week -- and that it matters to them
when, or whether, you sing to them? Do  you really think the malachim come
home with the Abba from shul, and if he doesn't go to shul -- they don't
come?    b. chassidish -- the malachim come when they are welcomed.

In either case, the answer is the same:  you sing Sholom Aleichem when you
want to.

As I understand it, the poskim take Malachim very seriously. An uncle of
mine once recounted a Machlokes between R' MF and RYBS (sorry, I have no
Mareh Mekomos) as to what direction one should turn for Bo'ee B'shalom when
the entrance of the Shul is not in back. IIRC, the Machlokes revolved upon
their respective understandings of how Malachim act - no cynicism or
Chassidism involved.

KT,
MYG