[Avodah] not working on chol hamoed

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Apr 8 05:28:43 PDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 03:26:38AM -0400, T613K at aol.com wrote:
:                        While I am  bringing up this chol hamoed question, let
: me add another:   does  typing on chol hamoed become an issur only if I print
: out what I typed?   How about if I print out what someone else typed?

I would think the melakhah of kesivah would be in printing, not typing.
And thus, it wouldn't make a difference who typed it.

Truth is, you don't print what someone typed. You print what exists in
memory at the time of printing. Which generally isn't the same area of
memory that it went into when you typed. Nor when you pulled the text
up off your disk / internet connection. Nor when you walked away from
the word processor, and it swapped some of the memory it was using off to
disk to allow the computer more room to do something else (administrative,
probably) in your absence.

And the difference between a word processor managing your text or a
zemanim calendar turning a city name and month into a calendar is only
one of degree.

Beqitzur, even without a computer doing anything obvious to your text,
there is no one object that is both typed and printed.

But why fixate on kesivah when you can also ask about havarah or binyan /
makeh bepatish? (Or whatever is your favorite electricity prohibition.)

However, we're talking about ch"m: If you enjoy Avodah, then printing
it would be mutar on ch"m for two reasons: as Torah, and for simchas YT.
No less than driving to a YT amusement. No?

:-)||ii!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Today is the 5th day
micha at aishdas.org        in/toward the omer.