[Avodah] waiting 24 hours before libun

Celejar celejar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 12:49:09 PDT 2007

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 17:41:28 +0300
"Dr. Josh Backon" <backon at vms.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> >Waiting 24 hours from the last use before kashering is only required
> >for hagalah, not libun. See Hagalas Keilim chapter 6 paragraph 15, and
> >the sources in note 40. This would seem to apply even to libun kal, and
> >that's the opinion of the author of Hagalas Keilim, although in note 41
> >he cites the Siduro Shel Pesah who disagrees about libun kal, which he
> >dismisses as incorrect.
>

> Obviously as per the Aruch haShulchan YD 121 #22 [b'libun ein chiluk
> bein she'hu
> ben yomo o eino ben yomo ..,. d'ha'esh m'chaleh ha'kol'] you don't
> have to wait 24
> for libun GAMUR. However, I was referring to libun KAL (oven). The problem is
> whether we pasken chametz before Pessach is hetera bal'a or issura bal'a.

I don't completely follow you. Hetera vs. issura bala has two
(relevant) nafka minos: a) may one kasher a utensil used al haesh with
hagala (or its equivalent, libun kal) [OC 451:4], and b) must one who
does hagala without water 60x the hametz be concerned that the hametz
will reenter the utensil [ibid. 452:1 - see Biur Halakha s.v. sheain].
An oven is presumably tashmisho baesh, and we're mahmir to consider
hametz issura bala and to therefore require libun hamur (Rama ibid. 451
and Mishneh Breruah ibid. 32), so why do you say libun kal?

> The entire "oylam" requires a waiting period of 24 hours (after
> cleaning) for Libun Kal.

I don't know the minhag, but the Sefer Hagalas Keilim that I cited is a
fairly authoritative work. Additionally, as my brother in law points
out, his argument is rather convincing; the humra to wait 24 hours is
to avoid the problem of the hametz reentering the utensil (by waiting
24 hours it becomes nifgam and therefore nat bar nat dehetaira), and
that's why the poskim do not require waiting before libun, since this
reason is inapplicable, and it would indeed seem inapplicable to any
sort of libun.

Good Yom Tov,
Yitzhak