[Avodah] How many Korban Pesachs could be sacrificed in 1 day

Chana Luntz Chana at kolsassoon.org.uk
Sat Sep 28 13:48:46 PDT 2013

RMarty Bluke writes:

>Until now we have discussed how this could have worked in the Beis
Hamikdash. However, Bnei Yisrael brought the Korban Pesach the second year
in the Midbar as well. At that time there were >only 3 Cohanim, Aharon and
his 2 sons. The population was 600,000 men plus presumably
>600,000 women, assuming even 20 people per chabura that leaves 60,000
korbanos. Even if the shechita was done by a non-kohen, 3 cohanim had to do
all the other avodos, kabolos hadam, holacha, >zerika, ... burning the
emurim on the mizbeach. That is an impossible task for only 3 cohanim.

Maybe they held like Rabbi Natan (Pesachim 78b) - It was taught in a braita
Rabbi Natan said from where do we know that all of Israel can fulfil their
obligation from [only] one korban pesach,  The Torah states [Shemot
12:6]"all the congregation shall slaughter it [singular] bein ha'arbaim" -
does the all the congregation schect, is it not that there is only one
shochet? Rather it is to teach that all of Israel can fulfil their
obligation on [only] one pesach.

Shavuah Tov

Chana