[Avodah] A THOUGHT FOR EREV YOM TOV

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Tue Sep 3 09:31:32 PDT 2013

If we had to point out the most important or one of the most important themes of Judaism,
the word Theocentric would probably be correct. Judaism is basically G-d centered and
from there everything else branches out. In the portion of Haazinu, Moshe poetically warns
the people to remember G-d. From birth until death, everything we do centers around the
Creator. We praise, thank, bless, glorify, etc. etc. G-d for EVERYTHING.  We do not take
a morsel of food or drink without making a b'rocho, both before and after. We do
not look at a rainbow or listen to thunder or see lightening without praising G-d. All of this
made me think of a true story many years ago.  It was told that the President of Argentina
in 1960, Arturo Frondizi, met Roger Babson, famous statistician and founder of Babson College.

In the course of their discussion, Babson asked the President why South America, with all its
natural resources, its mines, its rivers and waterfalls, is so far behind North America. The President
replied with an answer you will never forget. He said: "South America was settled by the Spanish,
who came in search of gold; but North America was settled by the Pilgrim Fathers, who came in search of God."

What a powerful response!

"Seek ye the Lord while He may be found"
Isaiah 55:6