[Avodah] How many Korban Pesachs could be sacrificed in 1 day

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Sep 17 19:46:32 PDT 2013

On 17/09/2013 2:18 AM, Marty Bluke wrote:
> Here is 1 additional point that I would like to bring up. In addition to
> the Korban Pesach which would have 10 or more people in a chabura there
> was a chiyuv on every male to bring an olas r'iya on the first day of Yom
> Tov, this is 1 korban per person, so if there were 1.2 million korban
> pesachs each with at least 10 people, that is at least 6 million olas
> r'iyas that needed to be brought.

They could be spread over 7 days.   And not every male is obligated.

> In addition, there was the chagigas
> yud daled which was supposed to be brought to provide meat to eat at
> the seder (especially if there were big chaburas for the korban pesach)
> plus additional shalmei simcha.

The shlamim could be brought in the morning, and AFAIK it doesn't have to be
done for the sake of a specific owner.  For all I know the BHMK could have
slaughtered bulls all morning as shlamim, and made the meat available to
anyone who donated towards the cost.

> That adds up to between 7 and 10 million animals that needed to be brought
> to Yerushalayim, housed there for a few days and slaughtered.

Why housed there at all, let alone for a few days?  They could be grazing
in the vicinity.  Even if they have to be inspected for 4 days, that could
be done outside the city.

Alternatively, each family kept its korbanos where it stayed.  And that
they all found room to stay in the city *was* a miracle.

> Bnei Yisrael brought the Korban Pesach the second year in the Midbar
> as well. At that time there were only 3 Cohanim, Aharon and his 2 sons.

Moshe was also a cohen, so there were four.  But that doesn't really
answer the question; four should have been overwhelmed as easily as three.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to