[Avodah] How many Korban Pesachs could be sacrificed in 1 day

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at mail.gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 23:18:41 PDT 2013

Here is 1 additional point that I would like to bring up. In addition to
the Korban Pesach which would have 10 or more people in a chabura there
was a chiyuv on every male to bring an olas r'iya on the first day of Yom
Tov, this is 1 korban per person, so if there were 1.2 million korban
pesachs each with at least 10 people, that is at least 6 million olas
r'iyas that needed to be brought. In addition, there was the chagigas
yud daled which was supposed to be brought to provide meat to eat at
the seder (especially if there were big chaburas for the korban pesach)
plus additional shalmei simcha.

That adds up to between 7 and 10 million animals (1.2 million sheep
for korban pesach, 6 million olas r'iya and an indeterminate number of
shalmei simcha) that needed to be brought to Yerushalayim, housed there
for a few days and slaughtered. That is clearly not physically possible.

As R"n Luntz pointed out we can't just say it was miracles because Rava
doesn't even allow relying on a small miracle to close the azara doors
on Erev Pesach when sacrificing the korban pesach.

[Email #2. -micha]

Until now we have discussed how this could have worked in the Beis
Hamikdash. However, Bnei Yisrael brought the Korban Pesach the second
year in the Midbar as well. At that time there were only 3 Cohanim,
Aharon and his 2 sons. The population was 600,000 men plus presumably
600,000 women, assuming even 20 people per chabura that leaves 60,000
korbanos. Even if the shechita was done by a non-kohen, 3 cohanim had
to do all the other avodos, kabolos hadam, holacha, zerika, ... burning
the emurim on the mizbeach. That is an impossible task for only 3 cohanim.