[Avodah] Rambam on False Messiahs

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Sep 1 12:14:54 PDT 2013

From: Lisa Liel <lisa at starways.net>

>>Mashiach  isn't "sent".  That's an idea
that's rooted in Christianity.   Mashiach isn't some otherworldly
creature.  He's flesh and blood like  me and you.  He isn't mashiach
prior to accomplishing the things the  Rambam lists.  That's just the
label that's put on the leader who does  those things.<<

Lisa

I'm not so sure it's a Christian idea.  I think rather that the  Christians
took it from us -- the idea that Hashem will send the Moshiach.   Yes, you
are correct that he will be flesh and blood, not some kind of  demi-god.

The interplay of hashgacha and bechira is a subject for long discussion
(probably thousands of pages in the Avodah archives already).

On the one hand in each generation Hashem sends us the leaders we need  --
a Baal Shem Tov, a Vilna Gaon, a Rav Moshe Feinstein, a Chofetz Chaim, a
Chazon Ish. On the other hand the people with the kochos do not /have/ to
accept  their mission, the becoming-a-godol requires massive amounts of mesirus
nefesh  and personal effort on the part of a person who hasn't been
explicitly told by a  bas kol "You are to be a godol."

Usually it is not obvious early in a great person's life that he was sent
here on a mission, it becomes obvious only later in his life or after his
death.

That Moshiach will have to accomplish certain specific things through  his
own efforts does not contradict the idea that he will be sent by  Hashem.
Did Hashem send Dovid Hamelech?  Going back further,   did He send Moshe
Rabbeinu?  I think the answers are yes.  In the case  of Moshe Rabbeinu it is
explicit at the burning bush.  Moshe by his own  bechirah became a worthy
leader and then Hashem sent him to Pharoah.   That's not a Christian idea, they
got it from us.

--Toby  Katz
KVCT