[Avodah] Rambam on False Messiahs

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Sep 1 18:21:46 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 07:54:38PM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
>> "Yishlach lekeitz hayamin meshicheinu...."

> It's a pretty song.

Which every Jewish qehillah from Frankfurt to the Darad'im have no
problem with including in our siddur..

>> "Harachaman hu yishlach lanu meshicho holech tamim..."

> Is that in the Chabad bensching, or something?

It's in everyone's (AFAIK) bentching for a se'udas beris milah.

>> "Shelach na beyad tishlach"  (which refers to Moshiach)

> Says who?

Pirqei derR Eliezer ch. 40 and Medrash Leqach Tov on our pasuq.

>> About the first geulah, and subsequent ones: "Vayishlach Hashem es Moshe
>> ve'es Aharon...vayishlach Hashem es Yerba`al ve'es Bedan ve'es Yiftach
>> ve'es Shmuel."

> None of these are particularly convincing.

They show that sending a go'el has nothing to do with implying his
divinity.

BTW, if sending a go'el is problematic in your eyes, how much more so
would be bringing him -- as that doesn't even imply the separation between
G-d and the redeemer that sending does? IOW, why would you be okay with
"umeivi go'el livnei veneihem" if you won't even countenance shelichus?

Micha Berger             Never must we think that the Jewish element
micha at aishdas.org        in us could exist without the human element
http://www.aishdas.org   or vice versa.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch