[Avodah] Rambam on False Messiahs

shalomyitz at comcast.net shalomyitz at comcast.net
Mon Sep 2 14:00:29 PDT 2013

>>I'm trying to make a distinction between Bar Kokhva, where the decree from
>>heaven that he isn't the messiah may not have been until well into his
>>career, and Shabbatai Tzevi, where I don't think anyone asserts he ever
>>was an candidate in beis din shel ma'alah's plans.

When I originally posted this topic, I was thinking mainly about Shabbatai Tzvi
(and RMMS). What was really different between Shabbatai Tzvi and Bar Kochba?

Both had lots of followers (including important Rabbeim), both organized militaries,
etc. If we would be obligated to follow BK until his death, why wouldn't we have been obligated to
follow ShTz (at least until he went over to the Ishmaelites)?