[Avodah] Hagba

Eitan Levy eitanhalevy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 21:58:15 PDT 2013

“I was recently in a shul where they took out the sefer Torah, opened
it and carried it all around the shul, showing everyone with a yad
where the beginning of the keri'ah is. I had never seen this before,
and was wondering if this is a common practice. Is it mentioned in
halachic sources, or does it simply manifest someone's enthusiasm?"

I have seen this in many Sephardi shuls. Definitely not unusual. I can’t imagine any reason not to. I would think letting people see the place better (actually at a distance where they can make out the letters) would only be good.
--
B’ahavat Yisrael,
-Eitan Levy