[Avodah] Hagba

martin brody martinlbrody at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 12:30:29 PDT 2013

"I was recently in a shul where they took out the sefer Torah, opened
it and carried it all around the shul, showing everyone with a yad
where the beginning of the keri'ah is. I had never seen this before,
and was wondering if this is a common practice. Is it mentioned in
halachic sources, or does it simply manifest someone's enthusiasm?""

I thought that was the purpose of Hagba, to show that we have an
authoritative text and where we are in the cycle.
The sephardi method makes sense, the Ashkenazi, to do it at the end,
doesn't.

--
Martin Brody
310 474 1856