[Avodah] hakohanim halviim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 12 16:37:06 PDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 10:17:16AM -0700, saul newman wrote:
: if someone could help me with an ibn ezra-- in shoftim on the above pasuk
: he comments that there are kohanim that are not leviim as he wrote
: elsewhere.  i dont know where the elsewhere is that explains the comment...

You might ask the same thing on Targum Yonasan, "kahanya demeisheivet
Levi" and Rashi "hakohanim sheyatz'u misheivet Leivi". In contrast to
those who aren't? They too are apparently invoking the same idea as IE
to explain the seeming redundancy.

As for the IE's reference to his "kaasher peirashti", Bar Ilan and I
couldn't find an obvious candidate.

The Sifri (ad loc, pisqa 153) says that it's a mitzvah (lekhat-chilah,
not me'aqev) that BD have kohanim and levi'im on it. Which is the exact
opposite of their point -- the Sifri takes the pasuq to mean "kohanim
and leviim" as two groups of people, not "kohanim who are the leviim".

But from the perspective of the mitzvah, TY and Rashi could be saying
that the obligation to have kohanim derives from their being from the
leviim. Doesn't help us with the IE, though...

While I'm tossing ideas around just to get some brainstorming going:
Maybe "meyichus levi" is in distinction to Pinechas's line who aren't
kohanim because of that yichus (or less directly because of it).

Those two suggestions don't combine, as it would imply exclusdng
Pinechas's children from the mitzvah of having kohanim on BD.

Micha Berger             "Someday I will do it." - is self-deceptive.
micha at aishdas.org        "I want to do it." - is weak.
http://www.aishdas.org   "I am doing it." - that is the right way.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Reb Menachem Mendel of Kotzk