[Avodah] Yom Kippur on Shabbos: Kiddush?

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Aug 11 18:06:37 PDT 2013

I understand from Aruch Hashulchan 271:2 that accrding to Rashi and others, there is a Chiyuv d'Oraisa to say Kiddush Al Hakos. That is, if one merely says "Baruch... Mekadesh HaShabbos" in the Amidah, he has still not been yotzay the mitzvah of Zachor Es Yom HaShabbos L'Kadsho, and still needs to take a cup of wine and say kiddush over it.

My question: How do these views deal with the situation when Yom Kippur falls on Shabbos? I can easily see how a takana d'rabanan would allow for exceptions for such situations. But in my experience, d'Oraisas are very straightforward, and do not allow for exceptions.

What would Rashi have us do? Does he (or anyone else) address this? Is it a simple case of Lav Docheh Aseh (which I think is actually the reverse of the halacha), or is something else at work here?

Akiva Miller