[Avodah] Grape Juice

martin brody martinlbrody at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 14:13:34 PDT 2013

"I normally use Kedem's mevushal Concord Kal for Kiddush.  However,  for
the Sedarim I use the same wine,  but it is not mevushal.  I taste no
difference between the two,  so I fail to understand how at least for this
variety you can say that the mevushal type is "spoiled" by cooking.
 YL"

Because Chazal tell us to spoil it. How? By cooking it!
Also are you sure that the non-mevushal variety is not cooked at all? Maybe
like the grape juice non-mevushal it is cooked at a lower temperature that
their posek suggests would qualify for mevushal?
And also, no disrespect meant but Concord Kal is not considered a quality
wine.
It is interesting why you reserve the non-mevushal for Pesach and not
Shabbat. Any reason for that?
Martin Brody

> "Furthermore,  there have been times when I have cooked wine that was not
> mevushal.  (See below for the reason.)  Once it cools and is refrigerated,
> I taste no difference.
>
> Of course, I am not a connoisseur when it comes to wine.

YL"

Clearly!

Martin Brody

> "There is another good reason to use mevushal wine.  It prevents problems
> when one has non-Jewish help like cleaning ladies.

YL"

Maybe.
But there are different shittas regarding non-mevushal wine and gentiles.
I take a lenient approach to this as I do everything else, except grape
juice for Kiddush!

> "True,  but in light of the above regarding gentile help,  it seems to me
> that mevushal wine is to be preferred from a "kashrus" standpoint.

YL"

I can see why you would say that but I disagree.
In the United States, it probably now impossible to get non-mevushal wines
in restaurants or catered functions.There seems to be no such problem in
London, Paris and Antwerp for example, let alone Israel.
Martin Brody

--
Martin Brody