[Avodah] Grape Juice

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Tue Jul 23 14:38:19 PDT 2013

At 05:13 PM 7/23/2013, martin brody wrote:
>Because Chazal tell us to spoil it. How? By cooking it!

Is wine made today the same way it was made in the time of
Chazal?  From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_wine it seems
not.  Also,  the kind of grapes used clearly play a key role in the
kind of wine produced.

While cooking wine in the time of Chazal may have spoiled it,  it is
not at all clear to me that the wine that we have today is spoiled by
cooking.  My limited experience with boiling non-mevushal wine is one
counter example.

>Also are you sure that the non-mevushal variety is not cooked at
>all? Maybe like the grape juice non-mevushal it is cooked at a lower
>temperature that their posek suggests would qualify for mevushal?
>And also, no disrespect meant but Concord Kal is not considered a
>quality wine.
>It is interesting why you reserve the non-mevushal for Pesach and
>not Shabbat. Any reason for that?

My understanding is that non-mevushal wine is preferable for Arba
Kosos at the Seder,  so that is why we use it.   Red wine is also
preferable for the Sedarim,  even though many might argue that
certain white wines are considered better wines.  Thus,  "best" may
not be the end all and be all when it comes to wine for kiddush.

Again,  I am not expert.  I am simply speaking from my own very
limited experience.

(I still remember the heavy Concord and Malaga kosher wine that was
used in the sixties.  It was all that was available.  Cooking
definitely did not spoil this wine,  since it was "spoiled"  from the
get go! :-))

YL