[Avodah] Grape Juice

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Tue Jul 23 13:37:52 PDT 2013

At 02:41 PM 7/23/2013, martin brody wrote:
>All "best wine" is of course personally subjective, but it cannot be
>something that has been deliberately spoiled by cooking. Therefore,
>the best wine is non-mevushal. That's what it means

I normally use Kedem's mevushal Concord Kal for
Kiddush.  However,  for the Sedarim I use the same wine,  but it is
not mevushal.  I taste no difference between the two,  so I fail to
understand how at least for this variety you can say that the
mevushal type is "spoiled" by cooking.

Furthermore,  there have been times when I have cooked wine that was
not mevushal.  (See below for the reason.)  Once it cools and is
refrigerated,  I taste no difference.

Of course, I am not a connoisseur when it comes to wine.

There is another good reason to use mevushal wine.  It prevents
problems when one has non-Jewish help like cleaning ladies.

>There are many fine sweet and semi sweet wines that are non-mevushal.

True,  but in light of the above regarding gentile help,  it seems to
me that mevushal wine is to be preferred from a "kashrus" standpoint. .

>Pasteurised Grape juice is NOT wine. It cannot ferment into a
>potable product. That people enjoy that taste does not magically
>make it wine. That it is permitted by poskim for sacramental
>purposes still doesn't make it wine.

True.  I never claimed that grape juice is considered wine.  YL