[Avodah] self cleaning oven

Joe Slater avodah2 at slatermold.com
Sun Jul 21 16:39:06 PDT 2013

Self cleaning ovens work at a temperature of around 500 centigrade (about
900 degrees Fahrenheit). This is above the melting point of many aluminium
alloys, although I don't know about the ones used in cooking. None the
less, people should be very careful about putting any utensil in a
self-cleaning oven unless they're sure they know what it's made from. Even
steel pots often have a "sandwiched" base containing another metal for heat
dispersion, and I have a feeling that the weld may break down at high
temperatures.

Joe Slater