[Avodah] self cleaning oven

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 13:43:12 PDT 2013

<<"4. Most Poskim hold that a self cleaning oven may be kashered by running
it through the self cleaning cycle. According to the view of many Poskim
(see 2) who hold that libun gamur is required for gas and electric ovens,
the door must be covered with aluminum foil and the like for Pesach.
According to the view of the other Poskim (see 3) who hold that libun kal
is sufficient, the amount of heat which reaches the door during the self
cleaning process is sufficient."

It is clear to me from the above that a pot would require libun gamur, and
being inside a self-cleaning oven would NOT be sufficient.>>

I fail to see the comparison. The problem with the door is that it faces
the outside which is cool. Therefore the heat that reaches the door might
not be enough for libun gamur (has anyone actually measured this?)
However, the pot would be sitting in the middle of the oven. If one holds
that an oven needs libun gamur and self-cleaning still works (except for
the door) why would a pot in the middle be any different?

Is there anyone who says that the heat inside a self-cleaning oven does not
reach libun gamur?
I find it hard to imagine that chazal had means to reacher higher
temperatures

--
Eli Turkel