[Avodah] self cleaning oven

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Jul 21 04:50:35 PDT 2013

R' Eli Turkel asked:

> From what I have seen the consensus is that one can kasher a
> self cleaning oven by putting it through its cycle. This also
> applies to the racks inside the oven.
>
> Question: If one puts a pot that needs libun inside the self
> cleaning oven during its clean cycle is that also ok?

It is unfortunate that too often, people speak about "libun", and forget to distinguish between "libun gamur" and "libun kal".

Here is what Rav Shimon Eider writes, in "Halachos of Pesach", page 180-181:

"2. Many Poskim hold that our ovens require libun gamur, that is, the walls of the oven must get red hot... ...

"3. Other Poskim hold that libun gamur is required only where the issur makes direct contact with the oven (e.g. baker's oven) ...

"4. Most Poskim hold that a self cleaning oven may be kashered by running it through the self cleaning cycle. According to the view of many Poskim (see 2) who hold that libun gamur is required for gas and electric ovens, the door must be covered with aluminum foil and the like for Pesach. According to the view of the other Poskim (see 3) who hold that libun kal is sufficient, the amount of heat which reaches the door during the self cleaning process is sufficient."

It is clear to me from the above that a pot would require libun gamur, and being inside a self-cleaning oven would NOT be sufficient.

For more details, *please* see the portions of paragraphs 2 and 3 which I omitted.

Akiva Miller