[Avodah] the 7 nations

Jay F Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Sat Jul 20 22:37:45 PDT 2013

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:38:18AM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
>> Well, there's a midrash that explains why the Girgashi are missing
>> from so many of those. They got Yehoshua's letters and fled to
>> Africa.  I don't know about the rest.
>
> Rashi Shemos 32:2, 34:11.
>
> How does that line up with the date Carthage (Kart Chadasht --
> Newburg?) was founded by the Phoenicians? ...
> -Micha

The question is not when Carthage was built.  If the Phoenicians did
colonize North Africa in response to our arrival in Canaan, Carthage
in any event would not have been the first colony that they built.
Utica would have to be older than Carthage, for simple etymological
reasons.

			Jay F. ("Yaakov") Shachter
			    jay at m5.chicago.il.us
			    http://m5.chicago.il.us

			"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"