[Avodah] the 7 nations

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 19 14:00:05 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 09:20:33PM -0700, saul newman wrote:
: http://torahtalk.michaelcarasik.com/files/8/9/4/8/3/147796-138498/45_Va_etchanan_5773.pdf
: is there a clear  reason for the variations?

I don't know about "clear reason", but RYGB has a peirush on seifer
Shofetim based on R' Tzadoq's idea that each of the amim represented
various middos ra'os, and which shevatim combatted them and how
demonstrates how to you your soul's positive forces to improve yourself.

I would suggest that when dealing with warring barbarian tribes, how
you divide them into nations is not black-and-white, and how various
groups allied themselves probably chyanged daily. So I'm not sure there
is a question to begin with.

But it would be sufficient to give room for the pasuq to emphasize
different grouping as the message about middos required.

RYGB?

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Life isn't about finding yourself
micha at aishdas.org        Life is about creating yourself.
http://www.aishdas.org                - Bernard Shaw
Fax: (270) 514-1507