[Avodah] the 7 nations

Lisa Liel lisa.liel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 15:19:43 PDT 2013

On 7/19/2013 4:09 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:38:18AM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
> : Well, there's a midrash that explains why the Girgashi are missing
> : from so many of those. They got Yehoshua's letters and fled to Africa.
> : I don't know about the rest.
>
> Rashi Shemos 32:2, 34:11.
>

> How does that line up with the date Carthage (Kart Chadasht --
> Newburg?) was founded by the Phoenicians? (Descendents of Kenaanim who
> were living on what would be Zevulun or so -- they build Tzidon and Tzur.)
> Does it fit any of the more discussed chronologies (or your own) to
> place the building of Carthage contemporary to Yehoshua?

Most scholars put Carthage's founding around the time of Eliyahu or
Elisha.  And I agree with that.  The only chronological information we
have for dating it is from Josephus, who quotes Menander (a Phoenician
author) to give a Tyrian king's list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kings_of_Tyre#Kings_of_the_Sidonians_.28with_Tyre_as_capital.29.2C_990.E2.80.93785_BC

Lisa