[Avodah] FINAL THOUGHT OF THE YEAR

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Wed Sep 4 07:03:44 PDT 2013

    Many years ago, I was teaching a third grade Hebrew School class.
    We were discussing the Jewish concept of G-d and one of the usually
    quiet students raised his hand and said he wishes he were G-d. Somewhat
    surprised, I replied, David, we all have a piece of G-d deep down inside of us,
    to which again, to my surprise, he said: "Yeah, but how can we dig that piece out?
    Realizing I was dealing with a very bright student I responded: "Whenever we do the
    right thing, whenever we are good, whenever we do a good deed we are clearly revealing
    that piece of God deep down inside of us. David's next comment was probably one of the most
    profound any student ever made. He said: "Then when we do something bad or don't live up to G-d's
    commandments, we are burying God." And though I didn't show my amazement, I said to the class: "That's
    the lesson for today: DON'T BURY G-D!"

    R. Chanina remarked, "I have learned much from my teachers, more from my colleagues, and the most from my students" (Ta'anis 7a)