[Avodah] Even veAven

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 23:51:32 PDT 2013

<<That's an excellent example.  I do this myself.  And if you know someone
who is always late and you tell them to be there by 5:45 when you really
want them to be there by 6, knowing that they'll probably *still* not
make it by 6, would that be an issue as well?>>

There is a story in the gemara that Rav's wife would always serve the
opposite of what Rav reqyested. When Rav's son noticed this he would would
relay to his mother the opposite of what Rav wanted so that Rav would get
what he wanted.
Eventually Rav realized that things had changed and he was getting what he
ordered. He asked his son for the reason and the son told of his trick. Rav
responded that it was a clever idea but that one is not allowed to lie.

I note that the gemara does not indicate that Rav himself instituted the
trick.
According to this story what could not lie and say a meeting was earlier
than scheduled so the person would show up on time.

There was a note in R. Haber's drasha that some of these things might
depend on societal norms. I was not sure what that meant. However, since
setting ones watch ahead to try and be on time seems to be quite common and
so I assume it is okay.

--
Eli Turkel