[Avodah] Even veAven

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 21 03:13:55 PDT 2013

I would think the question of whether even va'aven applies to time would
depend on whether we classify time measurers (clocks / watches) as of the
same kind as weight measurers (scales) and volume measurers (measuring
cups, etc...)

In terms of not wanting to even own something someone else could use to
cheat in business, a dishonest watch could be used for clocking in late
or clocking out early.

But the halakhaos of paying for time, ie sekhirus, are different enough
than those of paying for an item sold by weight or volume that I don't
knowi if the comparison is viable.

And the pasuq itself only includes volume (eifah) and weight (even).

So what about length? A dishonest ruler would allow someone to cheat
when doing business in cloth, thread, rope...

Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,
http://www.aishdas.org   and it flies away.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter