[Avodah] Chessed shebigvura

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 7 13:21:41 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 05:49:28PM +0000, rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com wrote:
: Micha's signature:
:> Chesed sheb'Gevurah: When is holding back
:> a Chesed for another?

: Quibble
: I might be mistaken but I think this question better refers to G'vurah
: sheb'chessed as opposed to vice versa

My translation: the chessed that can be inherent in gevurah.
Your translation appears to be: the gevurah that is part of the kelal of
    chessed.

: The simple answer is EG not giving money as tzedakkah to an
: Alcoholic Panhandler

The point of the question is not the simple answer, but to spend the day
looking for situations where this truth holds, where I did or did not
live up to the idea.

It's a hislamdus tool, not a Q&A session.

Another example: If you always catch a toddler who is stumbling around
before they fall, the child will never learn to walk independently. When
we discuss Hashem's gevurah, that's the mashal that comes to mind. Or,
letting a teen make a painful mistake (as long as the consequences are
temporary) because they need to learn independence.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 1 day in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Chesed sheb'Gevurah: When is holding back a
Fax: (270) 514-1507                           Chesed for another?