[Avodah] [Areivim] WDGW

Harry Maryles hmaryles at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 11:00:39 PDT 2010

(I have been asked to re-direct this post to Avodah from Areivim. It is my response to whether a Bas Kol has any Shaichus to "lo bashamayim hi." My answer is - of course it does. See below - HM)

--- On Sun, 3/28/10, Zev Sero <zev at sero.name> wrote:

T613K at aol.com wrote:

> (PS I agree with you in rejecting RZS's statement that "ein mashgichin bevas kol" has nothing to do with "lo bashamayim hi.")

See Be'er Hagulah.  To the best of my recollection, what I wrote is there.

The Gemarah in Bava Metzia (59a) is pretty clear. It involves a question of Tumah with respect to a certain oven - the Tanur Shel Achnoi. There is a dispute between R' Yehoshua and R' Eliezer as to whether that oven was Tahor or Tameh. R' Yehoshua Paskined that it was Tahor and he represented the majority opinion.

R' Eliezer said it was Tameh. He was so sure he was right that he held his ground against the majority. He called for a Bas Kol - a direct communication from Heaven and got one.

The Bas kol said he was right! God agreed with him.

But R' Yehoshua stood his ground too. He stood up and said, Ein Mashgichin B’Bas Kol.' Lo BaShamyim He.' We have received the Torah from Heaven and it is now on earth. We have been given the rules of Psak.  Acharei Rabbim L’Hatos. We follow the majority when there is a dispute. R' Eliezer was then put into Cherem after that.

HM

Want Emes and Emunah in your life?

Try this: http://haemtza.blogspot.com/