[Avodah] [Areivim] WDGW

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 7 10:21:11 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 11:00:39AM -0700, Harry Maryles wrote:
: The Bas kol said he was right! God agreed with him.

Arguably, and that's the way it's most frequently taught. Among later
acharonim -- the same kind of consensus as assuming universal hashgachah
peratis -- process would trump bas qol.

As I remind people every time we revisit this -- there is a bas qol
that said "vehalakhah kebeis Hillel" that a rishon could take as proof
against this thesis. Although R' Yehushua is leshitaso -- he didn't give
credance to that BQ either.

So, HQBH could have been saying:
- R' Eliezer was correct, but not to the exclusion of R' Yehoshua -- eilu
  va'eilu. However, the bas qol may not have been ruling out "vehlakhah
  keR' Yehoshua".

- As a rule of thumb, R' Eliezer is more likely to be correct -- but
  not here. (R' Nissim Gaon, Berakhos 19a, first opinion).

- The bas qol was just testing the chakhamim (RNG, 2nd opinion). Or,
  HQBH would not declare the emes at the expense of R' Eliezer's kavod
  (Tosafos, Eiruvin 6b, first answer).

RHM assumes the 2nd answer in that Tosafos or the Or Sameiach's position
(Yesodei haTorah 9:4). They hold that "halakhah keBeis Hillel" is only
followed because had we been brave enough, acharei rabim lehatos would
have appplied anyway. It didn't contravene process, it afirmed it.

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 1 day in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Chesed sheb'Gevurah: When is holding back a
Fax: (270) 514-1507                           Chesed for another?