[Avodah] We should all be Hirschians

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Tue Dec 16 13:48:14 PST 2008

At 03:28 PM 12/16/2008, T613K at aol.com wrote:
>It is true that at some level, "we are all Hirschians now."   Every
>ArtScroll book that is written in English was written by somebody
>who received a secular education.  The same is true of the people
>who write for the English-language Yated.  The charedi community may
>not consciously realize that they are actually Hirschians, but they are.

Being a Hirschian is much, much more than having a secular education
and working.  See Rabbi Danziger's brilliant article
<http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/danziger_tide.pdf>Rav S.
R. Hirsch - His TIDE Ideology  that I have posted at
http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/danziger_tide.pdf  This is,
IMO, the best exposition of what TIDE is that I have read.

Just because one has a secular education, and advanced degree, works
and learns regularly does not mean that he or she is a follower of
TIDE as espoused by R. Danziger.

>I would like to point out that R' Krugman is totally charedi and
>lives in a charedi community in Yerushalayim.  True TIDE calls for
>close identification with a dedicated, intensive Torah community.
>

>As Rav Schwab pointed out, it says "Yafeh Talmud Torah Im Derech
>Eretz." Rabbiner Hirsch, Rabbi Dr. Salomon Breuer, Rabbi Dr. Yosef
>Breuer, Rav Schwab, Dr. Leo Levi, Dayan I. Grunfeld, etc. were all
>strong proponents of "close identification with a dedicated,
>intensive Torah community."

The subject of my message was "We should all be Hirschians,"  not "We
are all Hirschians now." There is a big difference in my mind.

Yitzchok Levine