[Avodah] We should all be Hirschians

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Dec 16 12:28:01 PST 2008

In a message dated 12/16/2008, Larry.Levine at stevens.edu writes:

>>Rav Eliyahu Meir Klugman, a Rosh Yeshiva and Moreh Hora’ah  in Jerusalem
and the author of   Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch  -- Architect of Torah Judaism
for the Modern World, Artscroll, 1966,  points out the following:

Clear knowledge and understanding of  Rav Hirsch's views, insights and
formulations can help one respond  intelligently to most issues in Orthodox Jewish
life. From Bnei Brak and  Lakewood to Teaneck and Woodmere, from FFB to Baal
Teshuva, from Chazon Ish  devotee to modern Orthodox Jew, Rav Hirsch's teachings
form an integral part  of the world-view of the Torah Jew in the modern
world, regardless of whether  one takes an active role in that world or not.[i]  <<

It is true that at some level, "we are all  Hirschians now."   Every
ArtScroll book that is written in English was  written by somebody who received a
secular education.  The same is true of  the people who write for the
English-language Yated.  The charedi community  may not consciously realize that they are
actually Hirschians, but they  are.

I would like to point out that R' Krugman is totally charedi and lives in a
charedi community in Yerushalayim.  True TIDE calls for close  identification
with a dedicated, intensive Torah community.

--Toby Katz
Read *Jewish  World Review* at _http://jewishworldreview.com/_
(http://jewishworldreview.com/)