[Avodah] [Areivim] Seeing the Swiss Alps

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Dec 10 16:10:55 PST 2008

At 06:59 PM 12/10/2008, T613K at aol.com wrote:
>On Areivim, R' Yitzchak Levine posted something about Hirsch urging
>his students to see the Alps -- his famous line, HKB'H will ask you,
>"Have you seen My Alps?"

There was nothing in what I wrote about nd quoted from RSRH that said
anything about students.  The Wondering Jew piece appeared some time
in the 1860s in the journal Jeshurun.

Indeed, my impression is that almost all of RSRH's writing were meant
for the public at large. It is true that he gave a Chumash shiur
which was the source for his commentary on the Chumash, but to say he
was "urging his students to see the Alps" has, IMO, no basis. He was
urging everyone to look at nature and gain a greater appreciation for Hashem.

Yitzchok Levine