[Avodah] [Areivim] Seeing the Swiss Alps

Joshua Meisner jmeisner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 16:33:16 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 6:59 PM, <T613K at aol.com> wrote:

> 5.  A different post needs to be written about Pirkei Avos, and a person
> who looks up from his Gemara to say, "Mah na'eh ilan zeh!"  That could be a
> whole separate essay but, on regel achas, it does not mean that a person
> should refrain from looking at beautiful sights or should refrain from
> noticing that Hashem has created a magnificent world for us to enjoy.   What
> it does mean -- well that is for the other regel, enough for now.

I do not understand the mishnah to mean that a person should ignore the
beauty of nature around him, but merely that to cease the learning that one
is currently actively engaged in in order to take note of such nature is a
misplacement of priorities.  I don't see R' Shteinman's refusal to look at
Niagara Falls as being in conflict with the idea that has been cited in the
name of RSRH and others that the world is here for us to enjoy, but rather
as an expression that one should not interrupt in the middle of a sugya to
do so.

Joshua Meisner