[Avodah] Questions as a Result of the Flatbush Lakewood Shabbos

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Sun Dec 7 15:38:12 PST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: avodah-bounces at lists.aishdas.org
[mailto:avodah-bounces at lists.aishdas.org] On Behalf Of Micha Berger
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 6:27 PM
To: avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Subject: Re: [Avodah] Questions as a Result of the Flatbush Lakewood
Shabbos

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 08:59:18AM -0500, Yitzchok Levine wrote:
: One of the Roshei Yeshiva eloquently spoke about the years that
: Yaakov spent studying in the yeshiva of Shem V'Ever. (As we all know,
: these years are not mentioned openly in the Chumash.) However, he
: failed to make any mention that the Torah tells us in considerable
: detail how Yaakov worked diligently for Lavan for 20 years. It would
: seem to me that years of work in order to support a family are
: considered of some importance, given that the Torah mentions them.

Yaaqov was punished for not leaving a message home while at Lavan's. He
was away at Yeshivas Eiver for 14 years, and at Lavan's for another 22.
Note that Yoseif didn't contact him for 22 years, the same length of
time as his time at Lavan. Not contacting Yitzchaq and Rivqa while
learning appears to be more justifiable.

It would seem that the importance isn't comparable. Also, the first 14
of the 22 years weren't for money.

==========================
IIRC my son told me a dvar torah from R' A Lichtenstein that Yaakov saw
angels both times - that growing and supporting a family and learning
when one can is on the same level (or something like that)
KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.