[Avodah] Questions as a Result of the Flatbush Lakewood Shabbos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Dec 7 15:26:32 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 08:59:18AM -0500, Yitzchok Levine wrote:
: One of the Roshei Yeshiva eloquently spoke about the years that
: Yaakov spent studying in the yeshiva of Shem V'Ever. (As we all know,
: these years are not mentioned openly in the Chumash.) However, he
: failed to make any mention that the Torah tells us in considerable
: detail how Yaakov worked diligently for Lavan for 20 years. It would
: seem to me that years of work in order to support a family are
: considered of some importance, given that the Torah mentions them.

Yaaqov was punished for not leaving a message home while at Lavan's. He
was away at Yeshivas Eiver for 14 years, and at Lavan's for another 22.
Note that Yoseif didn't contact him for 22 years, the same length of time
as his time at Lavan. Not contacting Yitzchaq and Rivqa while learning
appears to be more justifiable.

It would seem that the importance isn't comparable. Also, the first 14
of the 22 years weren't for money.

Micha Berger             Like a bird, man can reach undreamed-of
micha at aishdas.org        heights as long as he works his wings.
http://www.aishdas.org   But if he relaxes them for but one minute,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      he plummets downward.   - Rav Yisrael Salanter