[Avodah] Questions as a Result of the Flatbush Lakewood Shabbos

Yitzchok Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Sun Dec 7 05:59:18 PST 2008

This past Shabbos was "Lakewood Shabbos" in Flatbush. Various Roshei
Yeshiva spoke at shuls throughout Shabbos. I heard part of a drasha
given at a nearby shul at Seuda Shlishis.

One of the Roshei Yeshiva eloquently spoke about the years that
Yaakov spent studying in the yeshiva of Shem V'Ever. (As we all know,
these years are not mentioned openly in the Chumash.) However, he
failed to make any mention that the Torah tells us in considerable
detail how Yaakov worked diligently for Lavan for 20 years. It would
seem to me that years of work in order to support a family are
considered of some importance, given that the Torah mentions them.
Indeed, might one deduce that the fact that these years are discussed
openly in the Torah whereas the years of Torah learning are not, that
these years of work are perhaps considered more important by the
Torah? I am simply asking, because I really do not have the
answer.  (Perhaps some will consider even raising the issue blasphemous.)

I davened with the Maariv minyan at which the Rosh Yeshiva davened.
(This Shtiebel has a practice of making several minyanim for Maariv
on Motzoei Shabbos.) When it came to Shemoneh Esrei, it took the Rosh
Yeshiva a long time to daven. Indeed, the Rov of the shul as well as
all of the others who davened with this minyan finished well before
the Rosh Yeshiva and therefore had to wait a good few minutes for the
Rosh Yeshiva to finish. In light of the piece below, I can only
wonder if what he did was appropriate.

 From The Mussar Movement, Volume I, part 2, pages 224 - 225.

Praying alone on Saturday nights or at the end of fast days, R.
Israel would defer his Tefillah till an hour or more after dark. When
praying with the congregation however, he would hurry to start
immediately and not wait a minute beyond the earliest permissible
time, so as not to hold back the congregation. So, too, he would take
very long to recite the Tefillah when alone. When he prayed with a
congregation that would wait for him to finish, however, he would be
among the first, "so as not to burden the public." Even in the month
of Elul and the Ten Days of Penitence, when he would observe special
stringencies, he would only take a little longer than usual to recite
the first three berachot of the Shemoneh Esreh, but hurry through the
rest as was his custom, and so finish together with the congregation.

I am not in anyway trying to disparage this Rosh Yeshiva. However,
when I see things that do not make sense to me, I feel that I should
raise questions about them.

Any constructive insight you can supply will be appreciated.

Yitzchok Levine