[Avodah] Questions as a Result of the Flatbush Lakewood Shabbos

Harry Maryles hmaryles at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 7 18:57:23 PST 2008

--- On Sun, 12/7/08, Yitzchok Levine <Larry.Levine at stevens.edu> wrote:

I davened with the Maariv minyan at which the Rosh Yeshiva davened...When it came to Shemoneh Esrei, it took the Rosh Yeshiva a long time to daven.

>From The Mussar Movement, Volume I, part 2, pages 224 - 225.

R. Israel ... When he prayed with a congregation that would wait for him to finish, ...he would be among the first, "so as not to burden the public

I am not in anyway trying to disparage this Rosh Yeshiva. Any constructive insight you can supply will be appreciated.

Yuhara???

I don't want to cast any aspersions on him either but I can think of no better model of Bein Adam L'Chavero than R'  Yisroel Salanter. I'm sure his level of Yiras Shamyim was as good as this RY's is. But RYS nevertheless put people first. This RY OTOH put his own Frumkeit first.

IIRC one need not wait for a RY visiting your Shul to finish his Shemonah Esreh before Shatz begins Chazras HaShatz or - in the case of Maariv - Kaddish. In fact I believe that the Shatz need not even wait for the Rav of the Shul if he takes too long. If this RY would have tol the Shatz not to wait for him, I'd have a lot more respect for his frumkeit.

HM

Want Emes and Emunah in your life?

Try this: http://haemtza.blogspot.com/