[Avodah] RSRH, Sinatra, and Love and Marriage

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Tue Nov 25 15:47:04 PST 2008

At 06:29 PM 11/25/2008, you wrote:
>Prof. Levine wrote:
>>At 04:43 PM 11/25/2008, R. D. Eidensohn wrote:
>>>For many  couples if there is no attraction initially - the
>>>marriage will not
>>>succeed.
>>Attraction and love are two very different things. Indeed, I am
>>sure that we all know of instances in which two people were very
>>attracted to each other, but there was no love and no love developed.
>>
>>RSRH was talking about love developing during the course of the
>>marriage. He said nothing about attraction.

>You missed my point. I wasn't asserting that love and attraction are
>the same thing. The example of Avraham not noticing his wife's
>beauty is another issue that we could make a didactic statement that
>beauty is not important and shouldn't be important. This however is
>contradicted by many other Torah sources. Similarly you can't take a
>posuk that says that Yitzchok came to love Rivka after they were
>married as a paradigm of the Torah view of the relationship between
>love and marriage - since it is contradicted by other sources such
>as Yaakov and Rochel. One data point can not be assumed to be
>representative of the population it was drawn from - especially when
>other data points contradict it.
>
>Daniel Eidensohn

So you have a quarrel with RSRH, not with me.  He does precisely what
you say one cannot (in truth, should not) do!

When I saw what he wrote about Yitzchok and Rivka the song Love and
Marriage jumped into my head.

BTW, RSRH says nothing about the Pasuk that says that Yaakov loved Rachel.

There is a long essay in the Collected Writings VIII about the Jewish
Woman. Tomorrow I hope to be able to scan part of it and post it.

YL