[Avodah] RSRH, Sinatra, and Love and Marriage

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 14:32:49 PST 2008

From: Daniel Eidensohn _yadmoshe at 012.net.il_ (mailto:yadmoshe at 012.net.il)

>>R' Yitzchok Levine wrote:
> *Love and marriage, love and  marriage
> Go together like a horse and carriage
> This I tell you  brother
> You can't have one without the other
> *
> From a  Torah standpoint, there is something very wrong with the
> lyrics. See  RSRH's commentary on Bereishis 24:67

>>It is not helpful to present a statement out of context or even  give an
interpretation which is not supported by the text. While there are
marriages that follow the Yitzchok Rivka model there are others that are
successful because they are the Yaakov - Rochel model. <<

My neighbor, R' Yakov Homnick, said in a shiur that  pretty much every way a
marriage can come about is covered in the Torah.   You can marry "the girl
next door"  -- somebody you grew up with and have  known for a long time -- like
Avraham and Sarah.  You can have an arranged  marriage, like Yitzchak and
Rivka.  You can meet a girl and fall in love,  like Yakov and Rochel.  All these
marriages can be very happy and loving  marriages, Torah marriages.

I will add only that, from a modern perspective (and I am including  Hirsch's
19th century Germany as "modern"), it is the second of those three  marriages
-- the arranged marriage -- that most needs defending and explaining,  as
Hirsch set out to do in his commentary.  Another generation might have  been
appalled by Yakov's courtship of Rochel and might have taken  Yitzchak's marriage
in stride, but moderns are appalled by the idea of marrying  a girl you don't
know, chosen for you by your parents.  So that was the one  that needed
defending, and as Hirsch correctly says, such an arranged marriage,  made with the
wisdom and experience of your elders, can indeed be a very happy  and loving
marriage.

Let me add that the Novominsker rebetzen A'H once told me, when I was a
single girl, "When goyim get married they put a hot pot on a cold stove, but we
Jews put a cold pot on a hot stove."  At the time I didn't really  understand
what she meant (and I didn't take her advice, which was to "settle"  and marry
a suitable person without worrying about "being in love"), but I  now perceive
that there was wisdom in her words, because of the way that a  Torah life
provides structure and support to a good marriage, regardless of  whether the
marriage started off on the Avraham, Yitzchak, or Yakov model.

PS I am not comfortable with this subject line because it seems to put
Hirsch and Sinatra on the same level, as two Torah commentators who have a
disagreement.  Don't know how to change it but do want to register at least  a mild
protest.

--Toby Katz
"If you don't read the  newspaper you are uninformed;
if you do read the newspaper you are  misinformed."
--Mark Twain
Read *Jewish World Review* at _http://jewishworldreview.com/_
(http://jewishworldreview.com/)