[Avodah] Aveilus

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Nov 9 16:38:15 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 05:06:01AM -0500, Cantor Wolberg wrote:
: I once saw a beautiful teshuva regarding the halacha of the length of
: aveilus and the seeming disparity between only 30 days for a child and
: a year for parents.
: When parents loses a child they will be mourning the rest of their
: lives, therefore, in order not to exacerbate it, halacha has
: compassionately made the (external) aveilus for only 30 days....

I could argue the reverse. Since aveilus is cathartic, the person who
feels the pain longer should be given the tool to feel like he has done
justice to his feelings and the memory of the deceased. Someone who can
get past it on their own more readily doesn't need to be given aveilus
to help him work it out for as long of a period.

Micha Berger             None of us will leave this place alive.
micha at aishdas.org        All that is left to us is
http://www.aishdas.org   to be as human as possible while we are here.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - unknown MD, while a Nazi prisoner