[Avodah] Aveilus

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Nov 9 02:06:01 PST 2008

I once saw a beautiful teshuva regarding the halacha of the length of
aveilus and the seeming disparity between only 30 days for a child and
a year for parents.
When parents loses a child they will be mourning the rest of their
lives, therefore, in order not to exacerbate it, halacha has
compassionately made the (external)
aveilus for only 30 days. For a parent, however, children easily
forget and need to be reminded. Therefore -- the year. It reminds one
of a parent can care for ten
children, but ten children can't care for one parent.
Obviously the explanation is a generality but it is something to think
about.
Also, I'm not really doing justice in explaining it the way I saw it
originally.
ri