[Avodah] Kiddush in Shul - Friday night

Seth Mandel sethm37 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 2 14:00:34 PST 2008

I am perplexed by the apparent amnesia.  Sometimes I feel like a dinosaur, because I and only a few others remember what were the minhogim before the new generations started changing things.  Why, I even remember a time when no one sang k'dusha.
Kiddush was said in every minhag Ashkenaz shul, whether Yekkes, Litvaks, or Oberlender.  Chasidim did not say it, but that was not because there was some objection to it.  Rather, the custom in all Ashkenaz shuls was to say bammeh madlikim and kiddush at the end of davening, and chasidim omitted both.  The reason, I believe, is that in the early days the rebbe lived in the house where the shtiebel was, and the chasidim waited for the rebbe to make kiddush (with or without shirayim: early chasidim always wanted to daven with the rebbe and hear him say the tefillos and kiddush.
Whatever the reason was that the chasidim dropped the two elements at the end of Friday night arvis, all other Ashkenaz communities kept them.  But in the yeshivos they changed a number of things.  One was they started saying bammeh madlikin before arvis, like the S'faradim, because the Tur (and the Shulhan Arukh recommend that.  They also canceled kiddush, not only because nowadays there are no orkhim sleeping in shul, like the Shulhan Arukh writes, but because in general in the yeshivos they tried to keep davening time to a minimum.  That is why they canceled payet (all Ashkenaz shuls used to say), and why they only did a heikhe kedusha for mincha.
Seth Mandel