[Avodah] Kiddush in Shul - Friday night

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Oct 30 06:41:44 PDT 2008

SBA wrote:
> In the early days (1950s), the Minhag in our Shul was for the Chazan to make
> Kiddush in Shul after Maariv - Friday night.
> This minhag was abandoned quite a long time ago. No idea why.

My Nusach-Ashkenaz shul also dropped this minhag more than 20 years ago
(how much more than that, I have no idea).  But it is SOP in NA shuls,
including Anglo-Jewish ("United Synagogue style") shuls.

> [I also saw it done in one of the "mainstream- O" (belaaz) shuls, that I
> once davvened in when visiting Sydney.

> The lay-'Chazan' who made the Kiddush, had his car keys jangling on the
> belt holding up his denim jeans.

He may simply not have removed them from the ring with his house keys.
Was it inside the eruv?  AIUI the Sydney eruv is kosher lechol hade'ot.

> Which brings me back to my question if a Mechalel Shabbos may drink wine
> that he touched...?]

All grape juice is mevushal, at least according to most definitions.
And in that sort of shul you can be sure it was grape juice.

> I have a few questions re the 'procedures' and would appreciate hearing
> on-or off-list from those who practice or know about these matters.

Any specific questions?

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.