[Avodah] Kiddush in Shul - Friday night

SBA sba at sba2.com
Thu Oct 30 05:59:25 PDT 2008

In the early days (1950s), the Minhag in our Shul was for the Chazan to make
Kiddush in Shul after Maariv - Friday night.
This minhag was abandoned quite a long time ago. No idea why.

Our so-called 'sister'-shul in Sydney - which has long since lost its
Hungarian-type families and is mainly made up of BTs and neo-Litvaks etc
(and not too many of those either), still has this Minhag.

[I also saw it done in one of the "mainstream- O" (belaaz) shuls, that I
once davvened in when visiting Sydney. The lay-'Chazan' who made the
Kiddush, had his car keys jangling on the belt holding up his denim jeans.

Which brings me back to my question if a Mechalel Shabbos may drink wine
that he touched...?]

I have no idea how widespread this Kiddush Minhag is [or was in pre-War
Europe].

I have a few questions re the 'procedures' and would appreciate hearing on-
or off-list from those who practice or know about these matters.

SBA