[Avodah] More on Righteous Gentile is Equal to the Kohein Godol

Yitzchok Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Thu Oct 30 03:44:11 PDT 2008

A couple of people have written to me saying that
one has to keep in mind that the statement by
RSRH "that a non-Jew who observes the laws given
to him by God is an equal of the High Priest" was
written in an essay that was designed to prevent
the banning of the Talmud, and hence to be read
by Russian government officials. The implication
is that Rav Hirsch wrote this under "extenuating
circumstances." However, this is not the case.
The following is from the new translation of the
Hirsch Chumash, Vayikra, 18, 5.  I am sure that
RSRH did not expect Russian officials to read his commentary on the Chumash.

I have posted the RSRH's entire commentary on
this posuk at
http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/gentile_vayikra_18_5.pdf

Even a non-Jew who keeps God’s Law is the equal of the High Priest;
for it says: “
 which a man shall do and live thereby.” Similarly, it says
(Shemuel II, 7:19): “This is the teaching for man” — and does not say
“for Priests, Levites, and Israelites.” Similarly, it does not say “Open the
gates, that Priests, Levites, and Israelites may enter” but: “
 that a
righteous people may enter” (Yeshayahu 26:2). Similarly, it does not say
“This is the gateway to God; Priests, Levites, and Israelites shall enter
through it,” but: “
 the righteous shall enter through it” (Tehillim
118:20). Similarly, it does not say “Exult, you
Priests, Levites and Israelites,”
but: “Exult, you righteous, in God” (ibid. 33:1). Similarly, it does
not say “Do good, O God, to the Priests, Levites and Israelites,” but:
“
 to those who are good” (ibid. 125:4). It follows that even a non-Jew
who fulfills God’s Law is the equal of the High Priest.

Yitzchok Levine